Index du Forum
IDENTIFICATION SERVEUR : 51.77.218.153 - CLIENT : 3.233.221.149

FAQFAQ   RechercherRechercher   Liste des MembresListe des Membres   Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs   S'enregistrerS'enregistrer 
 ProfilProfil   Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés   ConnexionConnexion 

Rastan (Taito, 1990)
Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet     Index du Forum -> PROTECTION MALEFIQUE
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
JohnBrooks

MessagePosté le: Dim 07 Juin 2015, 7:00    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Regarding the backdoor, it's a way to hook code into Rastan without modifying rastan.system, rastan1, rastan2, ProDos, or patching anything in GS memory before launching Rastan.

toinet a écrit:

@John: will you post the entire source code someday?
Antoine

I'm not even sure what I have. My GS has been in a storage unit for over 20 years, so I'll have to dig it out and see what works and what is on it.

If I remember correctly, I had a version of Rastan that used an improved version of the Tomahawk GS & Hunt for Red October GS 924k disk format, and I was close to getting all of Rastan on a single disk with very fast load times.

While I thought a single-disk fast-load system would be cool and save money on floppy duplication, it wouldn't have worked as well with hard-drive install and also used more than 1 megabyte of memory, so I mothballed that version.

I also wrote two editing tools for Rastan, a tile map editor and a sprite animation editor. I'd like to see if I still have those as they were pretty general-purpose.

Another cool unreleased goodie was an intro for Hunt for Red October GS which contained an original musical score and images which (I think) were streamed off a 924k floppy on the fly. For business reasons, the intro was scrapped so the game would fit on a single floppy.

I hope this stuff is still around, but 20 years seems like a long time for magnetic media to survive.

-JB
SNES, Genesis, PSX, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Linux
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
qkumba

MessagePosté le: Lun 08 Juin 2015, 19:58    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

JohnBrooks a écrit:
Regarding the backdoor, it's a way to hook code into Rastan without modifying rastan.system, rastan1, rastan2, ProDos, or patching anything in GS memory before launching Rastan.

There is no code path within rastan.system that can prevent the decompression from occurring, so I have misunderstood you at first.

However, I see that the highscores file can carry arbitrary code, called by 2/0010.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
JohnBrooks

MessagePosté le: Lun 08 Juin 2015, 20:32    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

qkumba a écrit:
JohnBrooks a écrit:

However, I see that the highscores file can carry arbitrary code, called by 2/0010.

Nice job!

Yes, that's the backdoor. When building rastan from source, it create a 'dev' highscore file with code at the end of the score data to disable protection and add in-game debug & power ups. I think there is a call to the highscore stub in the main loop for this. Or maybe the initial call to highscore patched some placeholder bytes in the main loop so the highscore 'dev' code would be called each game frame.

But yes the highscore file is both a data file and a trojan horse to insert user-code into the game. Smile

-JB
SNES, Genesis, PSX, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Linux
qkumba

MessagePosté le: Mar 09 Juin 2015, 1:02    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

There's only the single call that I can see, which suggests that the dev code inserted hooks manually in order to be called again.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
toinet
Site Admin

MessagePosté le: Mar 09 Juin 2015, 6:04    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Very good, so the back door is now found!

En route to the 924K disk format. The "18-sec format" for 3.5" disks Wink
JohnBrooks

MessagePosté le: Mar 09 Juin 2015, 9:08    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

toinet a écrit:
Very good, so the back door is now found!

En route to the 924K disk format. The "18-sec format" for 3.5" disks Wink

Yes, I'll have to see if I still have that IWM R&D code. If you listen to the original Tomahawk GS or Alien Mind GS load, you can hear the rapid head stepping as the GS reads each track in a single rotation.

The 3.5" + 65816 has considerably more capability than the 5.25" + 6502 had on the //e. IIRC, the 3.5" GS IWM could store +15% to +25% more on a disk than Prodos could fit.

18 sector formats added +12.5% above dos/prodos. +25% would be equivalent to a 20 sector format on a 5.25".

-JB
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet     Index du Forum -> PROTECTION MALEFIQUE Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
Page 2 sur 2

Sauter vers: